Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

10,507 Push Ups!


In Friday's class it was finally my turn to teach my peers! For my hook I used the world record of push ups which was 10,507 by Minoru Yoshida from Japan in 1980. I used that as my hook because for my task I had to teach the Push Up Jump in our jump roping lesson. I thought it was a difficult task at the start but as I practiced everyday and got better at it I felt more comfortable teaching it to my peers. In the beginning I was a little nervous but as time went on it became easier and easier. The only thing I felt I was weak on was my closing. I seemed to forget everything that I had planned on saying and just ended the lesson abruptly rather then leaving the kids with something exciting so that they would look forward to the next class.

When I was watching the video of myself teaching I felt really awkward but after I watched it a few times I was able to really look at my mistakes and what I can fix for Lab C and D. I forgot to add a demonstration of common faults with the task and I also didn't make it clear what I expected the students to learn from the lesson that I was teaching them. A few things that I feel that I did well were my demonstrations because I not only did it correctly which I was nervous about messing up but I showed it from another angle and I also did it in slow motion so the students could see it step by step. I also used scaffolding by making up a previous unit of track and field and asked the students to remember back to it and show me the sprint starts. 

TA Observer Checklist
Time Coding Form
Verbal Coding Form

No comments:

Post a Comment